Catalyst Dance Company
Catalyst Dance Company is Project C Studios’ concert dance group, created for pre-professional dancers ages 11 through 18 who wish to hone their abilities and experience within community-based performance and outreach. The group is modeled after professional concert dance companies, and is made up of a Senior and Junior Company, divided by age and ability, which operate both independently and together. The goal of Catalyst is to address the needs and potential of young dancers who may one day pursue work within the academic, conservatory, and/or concert dance field. Work within the Company supports dancers artistically, technically, intellectually and socially, creating connections and immersion in the collegiate and professional dance realm to allow for greater ease transitioning into career pathways beyond high school and studio training. In addition to performing locally and regionally on a regular and ongoing basis, the group works with guest artists and master teachers, participates in workshops, conventions and festivals, organizes fundraisers, makes public appearances, and lends their talents to charitable causes.
Summer Technique Training: All Catalyst Company members are required to participate in a minimum of one full week technique intensive at Project C Studios (Conservatory Training Intensive recommended). Dancers ages 15 and over are also required to attend the Artist Development Workshop.
Summer Choreography Intensive: All Catalyst Company members are required to attend the two-week Choreography Intensive at Project C Studios. All group choreography for the season is created and taught during this time.
Regular Dance Season Classes: All Catalyst Company members are required to take a minimum of 2 appropriately leveled Ballet and 2 appropriate leveled Contemporary/Modern technique classes per week, as well as 1 appropriately leveled Jazz class and 1 appropriately leveled Improv class.
Company Rehearsals: Weekly rehearsals for group work will be held following the Summer Choreography Intensive and on Saturdays from 9:30am-1:30pm, September through June. Additional rehearsals may also be added to the schedule just prior to performances. All rehearsals are required.
Workshops & Masterclasses: All Catalyst Company members are required to participate in all in-house workshops and masterclasses, at a discounted rate.
Student Company dancers are expected to set the example for work ethic, dedication, responsibility, and positive attitude. As such, our attendance and studio policies will be strictly enforced.
- Dancers must report all absences prior to class/rehearsal as soon as possible via phone or email (email preferred).
- If a dancer is unable to participate in class or rehearsal due to illness, injury or any other reason, he/she is expected to attend and observe class. (Please use discretion as to degree of illness.)
- Dancers must attend all in-studio, stage and dress rehearsals for performances. (Dancers will be excused for emergency situations only.)
- Two late arrivals for class or rehearsals counts as one absence. “Late Arrival” is qualified as after the teacher has commenced instruction; not to begin before scheduled start time of the class.
- Classes that meet Once per Week: Two consecutive or three random absences from a registered class per semester will result in dancer’s revocation of ability to perform in the next scheduled performance or participate in the next scheduled company event.
- Classes that meet Twice per Week: Three consecutive or four random absences from a registered class per semester will result in dancer’s revocation of ability to perform in the next scheduled performance or participate in the next scheduled company event.
- Student Company Rehearsals: Two consecutive absences from rehearsal will result in dancer’s revocation of ability to perform in the next scheduled performance or participate in the next scheduled company event. Three random absences will result in a reconsideration of the dancer’s participation in the Student Company. Dancers must attend the final rehearsal prior to a performance in order to perform. Any dancers who are absent during any portion of choreography for a piece will not be choreographed into that piece. Places absolutely cannot be held for missing dancers.
Student Company dancers are responsible for all regular tuition and associated fees incurred from class, intensive, and workshop/masterclass obligations required by Company participation.
Choreography Intensive: Cost for the Company Choreography Intensive is calculated per season, and is directly based upon the number of Company dancers, the number of group works being created, and Choreographer rates for the up-coming year. The cost is released with Company acceptance letters, is not to exceed $600 per dancer, and is due no later than July 1st.
Company Fee: Company members are required to pay a separate monthly rehearsal fee, due the 1st of each month August through June, of $75 per dancer to cover the cost of their weekly group dance rehearsals, as well as any extra rehearsals that are added to the schedule as preparation for performance. There will never be any additional rehearsal fees regardless of the amount of additional rehearsals. *Payment methods fall under regular tuition payment policy. **Weekly rehearsal hours do not factor into weekly class hour tuition.
Costume Costs: Student Company members are responsible for all associated costume costs. All efforts will be made to keep costs at a minimum without sacrificing quality.
Conventions/Festivals/Miscellaneous: Additionally, dancers are responsible for any costs associated with festivals, conventions, competitions, master classes, guest artists, performance tickets, travel, etc.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Members of Project C Studios’ Student Companies, and their parents/guardians, are seen as leaders in and representatives of Project C Studios. Their demeanor, behavior, attitudes, and actions in and out of the Studio and Company environment are seen not only as a reflection of themselves as individuals, but a reflection of the Company and the Studio as a whole. The dynamic created by the energy and attitude of each individual dancer, as well as their parents/guardians, not only governs the cohesion, development, and success of the Company itself, but also permeates the overall dynamic of the Studio environment. It is imperative that each dancer hold themselves to the highest level of expectations, and that each parent acts to foster and exemplify the awareness of and appropriate behavior given these circumstances.
DANCER & PARENT EXPECTATIONS:
- to conduct themselves in a mature and professional manner when involved in any studio related engagement and/or when acting as a representative of Project C Studios.
- to encourage an environment of inclusion, support, maturity, and respect for all individuals.
- to address any feelings or situations of dissatisfaction, and any concerns or reports of troubling situations with Studio Administration immediately, without exception.
- Dancers are expected to be polite, courteous, and respectful toward their parents, other parents, teachers, and fellow students, both in their presence, as well as outside of their presence, in the Studio, as well as other dance environments.
- Parents are expected to be supportive of their dancers, as well as other dancers, and actively encourage and demonstrate maturity and rationality in all situations.
- Dancers and parents are expected to encourage each other to embrace appropriate conduct at all times.
- Dancers are expected to act as productive and contributing members of the dance community at large.
- Dancers and parents are expected to be solution oriented, and handle all situations accordingly; including approaching situations with an understanding that there are always multiple perspectives and perceptions at play.
- No criticism of self or others with the intent to diminish or devalue.
- No competitive statements comparing the value or superiority of dancers, faculty, studios, etc.
- No violent, profane, sexual, or illegal behavior and/or language while on Studio premises or involved in Studio related engagement.
- No participation in illegal activity.
- No gossiping/spreading of rumors.
- No bullying.
- Any issues or concerns regarding violation of this policy will be addressed directly and immediately by Studio Administration with the affected individual dancer(s) and/or parents, accordingly.
- Any situations of accusations or reported hearsay will immediately result in an Administration mediated meeting between the involved parties.
- No individual dancer will be discussed by Faculty or Administration, outside of Faculty, with anyone other than that dancer and his/her parents, and no situation will be discussed with anyone outside of the affected parties.
- Violation of this policy, by dancer or parent, may result in immediate dismissal from Student Company participation, at the sole discretion of the studio Director.